Friday, January 25, 2013

In Search of the Giant Wild Panda in the Qinling Mountains


A big hike in search of Wild Giant Pandas

The trip comments  below are from my Wild Panda search the week of July 20, 2006.  We can set this trip up for you, with a recommendation that you stay a minimum of 5 nights, but a full week is really advised.


    
Our trip really begins when we stop at a roadside inn for lunch.  Jane our very attractive
translator, leaves the table and slips into a room across from where we are eating.  She enters that room a stylish and classy Chinese woman who could be dressed for business most anywhere in the world.  She comes out dressed in military style camo clothing and heavy duty hiking boots.  She is now G.I. Jane.  
   
After lunch we drive up the narrow and winding mountain road another 30 minutes and then stop and begin unloading.  Several local people stand around the car waiting.  We have reached the trailhead.  Jane advises us that the local people will carry our packs.  At first I hesitate, then I decide to go along with the game plan they have laid out.  Later, I'm glad I let someone more accustomed to the elevation and steep trail carry my pack.  

The hike to the campsite takes about 6 hours.  We travel about 15 miles horizontally and make a vertical climb of 3,000 feet.  Much of the hike is exceedingly steep.  I'm really glad I took my own advice and worked out for a couple months on a treadmill while carrying a 50 pound pack.  

My good physical conditioning keeps me in the game all the way.  Even though I'm the oldest one along, by 18 years.  It turns out I'm the second oldest person they know to have made this climb.  I just refuse to believe that 58 is OLD.

Along the way we spot much wildlife including Takin and Jane's first view ever of the Golden Monkeys.  During our week in the mountains we spotted the following wildlife:

Golden Takin
Goral
Serow
rock squirrel
chipmunk
bamboo rat
vole
golden monkeys

It was a very good 5 days of wildlife viewing.  At the end of this article is a detailed mammal sighting list.

There were hundreds of birds.  Some species that stand out were the black pheasant, a sparrow hawk that was the only raptor we spotted, a bustard and so many different small species that flitted in and out of the bamboo, tracking our movements all the time.

We saw several poisonous snakes, no common name, but thankfully a species that is exceedingly shy and was always spotted slithering away into the bamboo.

There were at least a half dozen, maybe a dozen species of bee.  Some tiny ones that hovered and darted about and some really big fat black bumblebees. We also saw a cloud burst of fireflies one evening after dinner.  I hadn't seen fireflies since I was a young child.  They were only seen once.   

Also a shy ground squirrel nested a few yards from the cabin we stayed in.  He came out to eat leftovers that were rinsed from our pans and dishes.
    
Sleeping quarters were tight.  A raised sleeping area provided group sleeping accommodations for about 10 men during the time I was there.  The two women each had a room to themselves.  The door to the outside of our shack was ill fitted and made a horrendous squealing noise each time someone went in or out during the night.  Still, with earplugs and noise reducing headphones I slept very well.
   
Food was cooked and served family style from a couple of big pots.  The camp cook was quite good.  I was pleasantly surprised by his skill and his happy demeanor.  When I made a special request for low sodium, low fat food he just smiled and made me the exact same food as everyone else, but as I requested.

July 20, 2006:
   
Today we're hiking in a conifer forest whose trees are densely packed together.  There is a scattering of deciduous trees spread through the forest.  Beneath the trees, growing luxuriantly in the dark shade is the umbrella bamboo that these pandas love and thrive upon.  The umbrella bamboo is even more dense than the first two days of searching.
  
This dense growth of bamboo and overshadowing trees makes the forest eerily quiet.  The lush green growth sucks up every sound.  The damp and moist earth is a great sound deadener.
   
There are a dozen bee and fly species that constantly hover around us.  Sometimes landing upon us.  They are irritating, but in general don't bite or sting us.  The exception are the cow flies that sometimes bite and draw a drop of blood.  They are slow moving, hovering a few inches away, before choosing the tastiest piece of bare skin to draw blood from.

Moss, fungus and mushrooms grow everywhere.  There is so much moisture in the air that they grow beneath fallen trees, along the trail, in takin poop, and even high in the trees, where we spot some golden monkeys chowing down on the arboreal fungus.
     
I have seen more wildlife on this hike than I have seen on all of my other China trips combined.  There is takin spoor everywhere.  Panda poop is common and we regularly came upon signs of pandas that were only hours old.  

During this panda search only one live wild panda was spotted.  He was moving away and the guide in the lead position spotted his black and white butt waddling quickly into the dense bamboo as we approached.  Does this mean the trip was unsuccessful?  I don't think so.  I cannot guarantee panda sightings on this trek.  

It is difficult to spot them, not impossible and not unlikely, but also not a certainty.  The signs were all around us.  This location has the highest probability of a successful sighting of Giant Panda of any location in the world today.  Researchers regularly make this habitat their locale for study because of the high concentration of pandas here.


This is not an easy hike.  It is a rugged journey that shouldn't be undertaken by anyone not in reasonably good physical condition.  I'm 58 and overweight.  I worked out hard and diligently every day for two months before going and I was glad I had done so.  

To give some perspective to the difficulty level I took along two pair of long pants because I knew my clothing would be wet all the time.  I kept the dry pants for around camp and each morning would slide the slightly soggy, cold and very uncomfortable pants on.  These pants were specially purchased for this trip.  Quick drying, highly puncture resistant, hi-tech fabric that at the end of the trip were so tore up by the bamboo that I threw them away.

I am a veteran of hundreds of hikes and camping expeditions, so there were no surprises for me in terms of how difficult the hike was.  Nor were the living conditions unbearable.  We had a wood cabin to shelter us, which was certainly better than a tent.  The food was excellent and plentiful, which is all you can ask for on a mountain expedition such as this.  

We were accompanied by two extremely skilled trackers, Fung and Jung (pronounced young).  They slipped through the bamboo like ghosts, while I bulled my way through like a crazed Golden Takin.  During our search for wildlife Fung was first to spot the takin and the golden monkey, although I like to think I would have seen them first if I had been in the lead.  He was
quite talented at spotting animals.  Later, after Fung spotted the Golden Monkeys, I spotted both the black pheasant and a Serow first and so I redeemed myself.
    
My overall impression of the trip is that it is a truly fine adventure, but it is not for everyone.  You must be willing to live rough for a week and to hike a tough trail.  If you are up to that challenge, then this wild panda search will probably live in your memory as a top rated hiking adventure.

End

No comments:

Post a Comment